Saturday, October 3, 2009

Update on my dad

My dad had surgery yesterday to repair his colon. The surgery took almost 5 hours. The tumor where his kidney was, grew onto his colon, puncturing it. They had to remove a six inch portion of his colon, then reconnect it. He does have a colostomy bag on, but they hope he will be able to have it removed (one more surgery) within a month.

They did remove some of the larger kidney cancer tumor and will biopsy it. They said for now my dad's colon is cancer free, but he does have a lot of cancer still in him. I guess you always kind of hope that once they open him up, they tell you they diagnosed him wrong and its not cancer. But it still is.

I pray for a fast, painless recovery for my dad. I didn't get to see him last night, as he was still in recovery at 7 p.m. But I am going to call up there in a little while to see how he is doing.

I can tell you one thing, yesterday was one of the hardest days of my life. It really sucks having to see my dad, who I love sooooo much, go through all of that pain. I just want to see a smile on his face again. They told us the surgery would be a minimum of 2 hours, but we never expected 5. It was a long, long wait. Your mind starts to go places that you don't want it to go. I don't think I've had so many tears in one day in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment