Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dear Dad -

Dear Dad-

I wanted to write to you and tell you how much I love you and how much I appreciate the things you have done for me over the last 29 years. I don’t think you really realize the sacrifices parents make for their children, until you become a parent yourself.

The last four months have been rough on all of us. But it has got me thinking about all of the special times we have shared together. I think the one moment that I will cherish the most for the rest of my life is the day you got to walk me down the aisle to marry the man of my dreams. I’ll also never forget the father daughter dance that we got to share. I am lucky because some daughters never get to experience that with their dads.

I also will never forget how you rushed to my side when we knew Nevaeh was not doing well. You never thought twice, you just came because you know I needed you. It was such a comfort having you and mom there. I felt like a little girl again, just needing my mom and dad. I also appreciate the fact that you rushed to our side to move us back home. You drove four hours to help us pack and then another four hours back to bring our stuff back. Not a lot of parents would just do that for their kids. These are the kind of things that make me realize what a special, loyal dad you are.

I’m sorry I was such a rotten baby and kid. I wish I could take that all back. But you have to admit, you chasing me around the block to try to spank me, has to go down in the record book as a memorable moment. I always knew when I pissed you off to the point of no return. There was a certain look that you gave, and you would suck in air very slowly when you had reached your limit. I knew exactly which buttons to push.

I remember all of the camping trips we took, and all the good times we shared on those family vacations. I remember you teaching me to drive for the first time. I was so nervous that I set the cruise control at 25 while driving through town in Seymour and you yelled at me. I remember you dropping us off at school and beeping the horn in the buck mobile.

I remember how you could comfort me when I was so upset. Upset over the stupidest things that I thought were life shattering at the time. You have an amazing smile and ability to make people laugh. I think that is what I love the most about you. You taught me that it is okay to laugh at yourself, and it’s okay to smile and laugh when times are rough. That a sense of humor can go a long way.

I love how you were never afraid to cry in front of us. I love how you are so romantic to mom. I remember thinking if I could find a guy that was like you, I would be so lucky. Jason is a great guy, but no one can compare to my dad!

Above all I want you to know how much I love you, respect you, and are so thankful that you are my dad. Please don’t give up on the fight that you are fighting. Please keep your positive attitude and sense of humor. Above all, please heal and feel better soon.

Love-
Your little girl

No comments:

Post a Comment