Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kidney Stones

So I've had this nagging pain in my back for two years now. Yes, two years. It started right before I got pregnant with Macey. It was January 2009, and I was in New York for work. It started with a stabbing pain in my back, and also I was peeing a lot. So I thought I maybe had a kidney stone or a bladder infection. I went to my doctor, and he said I did not have a bladder infection. He did an x-ray of my back, as some kidney stones will show up on an x-ray. That came back clean, and I was told it was probably muscular.

I got pregnant with Macey, and complained often about the pain. I even went to the emergency room. They told me that I had a very bad UTI. They put me onto antibiotics. Through my whole pregnancy I had this nagging pain. My doctor told me it could be the baby laying on my kidney funny.

After my dad passed away, the pain reappeared. I didn't want to chance anything, epecially what I just watched my dad go through. So I made an appointment with another doctor. The first doctor I had saw moved practices. So I went through the whole history with the new doctor. She did a CBC on me. That came back clean. She also did an x-ray, which came back clean. She told me that kidney stone pain does not come and go, and it's usually exruciating pain. Again she said the pain was muscular.

By this time I am starting to feel a little crazy. Because when the pain comes, it is quite debilitating. The weekend of Jason's birthday, that Sunday I thought I had the stomach flu. Lots of nausea, light headed, tired, but the stabbing pain was back. So on Monday I decided to make an appointment at my OBGYN's office. They got me in on the Friday. I explained to her the mystery pain. She ordered an ultrasound the following Thursday. They did say however that my white blood count was high, and I had a UTI. SO I have been on an anti-biotic since then.

Last night the pain got really intense, and I started to have blood in my urine. I decided to go into the emergency room. As I was sitting in the emergency room, the pain subsided again, making me think I was crazy. They said my urine was clean and I did not have a UTI. She suggested we do a CT scan. She came back in the room and said I had a 3mm kidney stone, high up in my right kidney (right where the pain has been all along). She said since it was not acutally passing, there was not much she could do except for give me medicine for the pain.

I called the doctor who I saw last Friday, and she suggested I go to an Urologist. So I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I hope that after almost two years of going through this, they can give me some explanations and hopefully fix me somehow.

1 comment: