Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Down Syndrome

The groom of the wedding we were at this weekend has a sister with down syndrome. I have to admit at one point during the night I lost it a little bit and cried as I watched her on the dance floor. I can't explain it, because I always knew in my heart how special people with down syndrome are, but it hit me full force Saturday night. Even Jason made several comments that let me know he was thinking of Nevaeh.

I've come to realize that we are actually the impared people. I think people with down syndrome have a totally different and unique perspective on life that we could all benefit from. I think we are the ones that are sheltered. And that's what hurts so much. It hurts because I regret all the bad thoughts I had when hearing Nevaeh's diagnosis. I am very ashamed. Ashamed that it took me so long to really realize all of this. I wish I could go back four years and have a totally different perspective. I know that Nevaeh has changed me as a person. She has made me more open, accepting, and understanding. I just wish she could be here right now, as I know she would provide me a life full of lessons, laughs, tears, and revelations.

1 comment:

  1. i am a special ed. teacher... and every day.. instead of teaching them i am learning from them.. they have taught me to be free.. to be happy without cause.. they are truly amazing individuals!

    ReplyDelete