Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Made it one year

Well, yesterday was the dreaded one year anniversary of my dad's death. It went better than I thought it would. Originally I had plans to meet up with my sister and my mom, and for us to spend the entire day together. But as luck had it, we had a huge snowstorm Sunday night that dumped 12 inches of snow on us!! I finally was able to get the girls off to daycare at about 9:30. Then I got ready, and decided to head to my mom's house, and just take the drive slow.

I made it to my mom's at about 11:30. We decided that we were going to continue with our plans and go to the mall for a little retail therapy. It was a really stupid decision, as the roads were horrible!! But I haven't had a vacation day just for me in so long, I was determined to get some shopping done! We had a blast shopping and getting our mind of things for awhile. Man...did I spend too much money. Shopping when you are sad, is never a good idea!!

We did have many tearful moments through the day. I had my first meltdown when Jason pulled me close for a hug before I left. I always try to hold it in and put on a strong face. Then I listened to all my dad's favorite and some of his funeral songs on the drive. Me and my mom and sister had a lot of tearful reminiscing on our drive to the mall. I took time to remember him through my facebook status, as well as the poem I posted on here.

I am proud how I handled it. I think I made the day the best I could. I took time to reflect, to remember, but to also get my mind off things. I did happen to just gaze at the clock at 7:59 p.m. - the time of his death. And I thought wow...it really has been a year. I can't believe sometimes that it has been that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment