Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Shelf

This past weekend my grandparents had to move into an assisted living facility. They really should have moved there long ago, but they are quite stubborn and set in their ways. They've wanted to remain in the only place that they knew as home.

My mom helped move them. My aunt was telling my mom how my grandma did not want to take a shelf that has all of her angels displayed, instead she went to the attic and dug out an older smaller shelf. My aunt couldn't understand why she would want this smaller shelf, especially since all of the angels wouldn't fit on there.

When my mom was helping my aunt unpack, she came across the small shelf my grandma was so insistent on bringing. Here it was the first shelf my dad ever made and gave to her. My grandma thought this shelf was perfect and beautiful, even with all of it's imperfections of being small and uneven. This was the shelf she wanted and holds so much sentimental value to her.

My mom and aunt placed the shelf over my grandparent's bed, with some of the angels displayed, and of course my dad's picture. I can't imagine how they must feel outliving a son. I am sure they miss him as much as I do. I just think it is very touching that my grandma remembered that shelf and wanted it along on their new journey to their new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment